When I began my quest to find a natural and chemical free solution for my skin care needs I was shocked to learn about all the nasty chemicals I had been putting on my skin for years. No wonder my skin issues never went away and at times got worse! And to think I spent some serious moohla on all these products that not only over time did more harm than good to my skin, I was also putting my overall health at risk!! Grrrrrrr….
Most women use around 12 personal care products per day…cleanser, toner, moisturizer, soap, body lotion, exfoliators, lipstick, foundation etc. without a clue as to the harmful chemicals lurking in the products they are putting on their skin. That’s a whole lot of chemicals being absorbed into the skin daily. YIKES!
Let’s take a closer look at some of the harmful ingredients manufacturers are putting in the skin care products you use everyday. Brace yourself this is some scary stuff!
• Parabens are used as preservatives to prevent bacteria, mold and yeast. Parabens possess estrogen-mimicking properties associated with increased risk of breast cancer. They can be found in makeup, body washes, deodorants, shampoos and facial cleansers.
• Synthetic Colors (FD&C or D&C) are suspected to be a human carcinogen, skin irritant and are linked to ADHDin children. Synthetic colors are banned in Europe.
• Fragrance is a sneaky one! The term “fragrance” was created to protect a company’s secret formula therefore the consumer could be putting on a concoction that contains tons of chemicals hazardous to your health. According to the EWG synthetic fragrances can cause allergies, dermatitis, respiratory distress and potential effects on the reproductive system. It can be found in many products such as perfume, cologne, conditioner, shampoo, body wash and moisturizers.
• Phthalates are a bunch of chemicals used in hundreds of products to increase flexibility and softness in plastics. The main phthalates in lotions are called diethyl phthalates and are known to be endocrine disruptors and have been linked to breast cancer, early breast development in girls and reproductive birth defects in males/females. Unfortunately, it is not disclosed on every product as it’s added to fragrances (remember the “secret formula” not listed), a major loophole in the law. They can be found in deodorants, perfumes/colognes, hair sprays and moisturizers.
• Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) is found in more than 90% of personal care and cleaning products (think foaming products). SLS’s are known to be skin, lung and eye irritants and have the potential to interact and combine with other chemicals to form nitrosamines, a carcinogen. These combinations can lead to kidney and respiratory damage. They can be found in shampoo, body wash/cleanser, mascara and acne treatment.
• Formaldehyde preservatives are used in many cosmetic products to help prevent bacteria growth. This chemical is deemed a carcinogen by the IARC and has been linked to cancer. It is also known to cause allergic skin reactions and may also be harmful to the immune system. It can be found in nail polish, body washes, conditioners, shampoos, cleansers, eye shadows, nail polish treatments.
• Propylene glycol is a small organic alcohol commonly used as a skin-conditioning agent. It’s classified as a skin irritant and penetrator. It has been associated with causing dermatitis as well as hives in humans — these sensitization effects can be manifested at propylene glycol concentrations as low as 2 percent. It can be found in moisturizers, sunscreen, makeup products, conditioners, shampoo and hair sprays.
• Sunscreen chemicals function as a sunscreen agent, to absorb ultraviolet light. These chemicals are endocrine disruptors and are believed to be easily absorbed into the body. They may also cause cellular damage and cancer in the body. Common names are benzophenone, PABA, avobenzone, homosalate and ethoxycinnmate.They can be found in sunscreen products.
• Toluene is a petrochemical derived from petroleum or coal tar sources. You may see it on labels listed as benzene, toluol, phenylmethane, methylbenzene. Toluene is a potent solvent able to dissolve paint and paint thinner. It can affect your respiratory system, cause nausea and irritate your skin. Expecting mothers should avoid exposure to toluene vapors as it may cause developmental damage in the fetus.Toluene has also been linked to immune system toxicity. It can be found in nail polish, nail treatments and hair color/bleaching products.
• Triclosan is a widely used antimicrobial chemical that’s a known endocrine disruptor — especially thyroid and reproductive hormones, and a skin irritant. Studies raise concerns that triclosan contributes to making bacteria antibiotic-resistant. There also wasn’t enough supporting evidence that washing with antibacterial soaps containing triclosan provides any benefit over washing with regular soap and water. Tricolson can be found in toothpastes, antibacterial soaps and deodorants.
Daily exposure to these chemicals can expose you to up to 175 chemicals! It has been estimated that woman can absorb around 2kg of chemicals through their skin each year. Although it’s impossible to avoid every single synthetic chemical you can do your part by limiting the amount of toxins your body is exposed to by eating clean, and ditching your chemical-laden skin care products for natural, organic and chemical free products. Your skin is the largest organ so why not feed it naturally and let it shine!
Visit VictoriaLand Beauty and learn more about our natural, organic and chemical free skin care products. From Nature Beauty Grows Here!
P.S. For more information and to better educate yourself check out the EWG’s Skin Deep Database to research toxic chemicals that could be lurking in your cosmetic and personal care products.